Sunday, July 13, 2014

    FLUMO

Flumo is an interesting medium. You have to use plaster molds, but it air dries,

which is nice because you need no kiln. It's pretty strong too, and can be polished to a porcelain finish. I use it mostly to make prototypes but have considered using it to make actual dolls because it's so easy to use.
   Here is a prototype I decided to paint. I usually never paint prototypes because I use them to make molds for porcelain. But I love to experiment and am somewhat pleased with the result. I painted the eyes with acrylic and pastels. The pupil and eyeliner are acrylic, but then I used wet pastels with a brush to color the rest of the eye and lips, not to mention a bit of shadow around the nose and nostrils.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I have studied painting and sculpture and still enjoy doing both though sculpting seems to have the dominant spot in my life right now. I have won Doll magazine's "Award of excellence" two years in a row 2013-2014, in the artist ball jointed doll category. I have also won "best of show" this past year at the Orlando Museum of Art.